Thursday, December 6, 2012

My November Birchbox and an Anti-Bullying Walk

Hello everyone!! We are SOOOO close to Friday I can taste it! Is it just me, or have the weeks just been dragging by? Today I'll be talking about my November Birchbox and how it compares to my ipsy November Glam Bag. I'll also be giving you info about an Anti-Bullying Walk that is happening in my area, in memory of a young man from one of our local schools who has recently committed suicide.

Let's talk about that first:

For those of you in my area (which I'm guessing most of you are) there is an Anti-Bullying Walk happening on Sunday, December 9th in memory of Josh Pacheco. Read about him here. The group will be meeting at Fenton Middle School at 2:30 and starting the walk to Bush Park at 3:00. Feel free to bring balloons, signs, and anything that will raise awareness. I will be there with members of The Bullycide Project and I really hope to see you there! I think it will really make a statement and will give everyone a chance to stop and reflect.

Now let's throw in a little beauty!

I received my November Birchbox at the beginning of this month. Their shipping was delayed due to the hurricane in New York, so to make up for it they added 100 points to my Birchbox account, which means I have $10 towards any full-size product in the Birchbox shop. I mean how generous is that! I was very impressed with their customer service. That's the main reason I'm not cancelling my subscription. Unfortunately, I was not super impressed with my Birchbox. Let's take a look...

This month's theme was all about "Giving: giving thanks, giving back, and of course giving treats". To go along with this theme, they included a cardboard reusable envelope to give someone a gift in, but it has Birchbox written all over it, so I'll never actually use it. I consider that to be the theme of my box: things I will never use.

Here's what I got:

Color Club Nail Polish in Put a Pin In It

Full Size Bottle: $8
I love this rose gold color and it's a custom color for Birchbox which I think is cool. This is definitely one of the products that I'm the happiest about, but it doesn't get me super excited for some reason

Kerastase Masque Chroma Riche
Full-Size Jar: $61
I am definitely into hair masks lately, and I'm glad they gave me two packets instead of just one, but I will NEVER be able to spend $61 on just one thing! I almost don't want to try it, because I'm afraid that I'll love it and then not be able to afford it. Sigghhh.

Shea Terra Organics Whipped Shea Butter Body Creme
Full-Size Jar: $22
I love the scent, Bananas and Baobabs; smells like bananas and coconut! I hate jars of lotion though...I can't stand dipping my fingers into it and getting it under my fingernails. *Shudder* But I skimmed my fingers over the top and it feels...spongey. Like I pressed into it and it was bouncy. I guess that's where the "whipped" comes in, but because of that and the small opening of the jar, I couldn't even get a lot of product on my finger, let alone my hand. Sadly, I don't think I'll be using this at ALL.

Stila All Over Shimmer Liquid Luminizer

Full-Size Tube: $20
I am interested in any kind of "luminizer" product and was excited to get this in my box. And then I swatched it:


Not sure if you can tell, but there is a definite amount of sparkle in this formula. I don't mind a little bit, but I would never wear this much on my face! I might use it on my decolletage for a holiday party, but I would never use it enough to justify buying a full-size tube. Bummer.

Twistband Hair Tie

6 Pack- $10, 12 Pack- $18
Birchbox is obsessed with these hair ties and they even say you can wear them as a bracelet and they look just as cute. I just can't get behind them. For someone who puts their hair up a lot, this would be really cute, but I just don't. I wish I had gotten a different color to make it a little more fun, but oh well! I'll let someone "borrow" this and then just tell them to keep it.

They also included a sample of a men's fragrance, John Varvatos Artisan, as that product to "give away". I thought that was a cute idea, and definitely didn't mind. I gave it to my younger brother and he really likes it. They describe it as a "modern blend of energizing citrus and warm woods" which is usually the type of scent I love. Great gift idea for any man in your life!

I hate to be such a Debbie Downer, but I really was disappointed with my box and wanted to give my honest feedback. Their customer service was great however, and for only $10/month I really can't complain.

If I was to compare ipsy and Birchbox, just for this month, I would definitely pick ipsy simply for the fact that they gave me TWO full size products, both of them costing more than the subscription itself. Birchbox didn't give any...unless you count the hair tie I guess. I wonder who will win next month??

That's all for now. Hope to see you at the Anti-Bullying Walk!

Love ya,
Elizabeth







No comments:

Post a Comment